The Danger of Rejection

This article is not about rejection on a date or rejection for a job application, but for people who are in a long lasting relationship.

Have you ever been rejected? Hurts doesn’t it? Yeah it really hurts when it happens, but most are taking it far to lightly. A simple rejection can destroy all trust built up between you and it doesn’t matter how big your wallet is or how big your heart is. Let me tell you a story:

I have been rejected numerous times, but for me, it’s a part of life. Some things works and some things don’t. I get over it pretty quickly. This is important, people are different. When I have rejected someone I love and that person really feels the betrayal, I am quite shocked at first, but then I realize the major mistake I have made. A lot of trust that I have built up could be gone in an instant. That is the danger and power of rejection.

So what should we do? Should we just accept everything? Should we always agree and never disagree? Of course not, but there are ways to limit the blow so to speak. Here’s a scenario, you are working on your latest project and your partner is working on his or her schoolwork:

* Honey, can you help me with the schoolwork?
- Uh, I’m a little busy here. Can I Work?

FAILURE!

You might not even realize it, but what you have unleashed is a snowball that keeps on rolling. If that person can’t handle rejected as well as you can, then you both are in trouble. It might seem like a small thing to you, but this is huge. A rejection like this can hurt really bad and make you out to be a bad person even though you are not. Here’s what you should do instead:

* Honey, can you help me with the schoolwork?
- Sure honey! I’d love to! Just finishing up here. Can we do it in about 5-10 minutes?

This is an honest question. You can argue that the first one was a question too, but the devil is in the details. In the beginning you open up with a massive confirmation. You would LOVE to help. This alone makes a huge difference and makes your partner feel like you really care for him or her. In 99% of cases I bet the answer would be:

* Great! Take all the time you need honey, I will be here waiting.

Then all is smiles and happiness. If you did a massive rejection like the first scenario, then it would be a blow that could be very hard to recover from. I have done this myself sometimes without thinking and I still feel guilt and pain from it so be respectful to the one you love and never ever reject that person. This is a person whom you love and care deeply for, a person who rely on you to be a loving and caring person.

I hope you have learned a thing or two about rejection and how to proper formulate an answer. Always open up with a massive confirmation, this is the key, no matter what it is. Even if it pains you to say yes, just do it anyway and the rewards will be many. Like I said before you don’t need to agree with everything, but this is not the issue here. Always confirm, then you can ask a question whether it will be appropriate to do it a little later.

What do you think of rejection? Answer in the comments section below.

References:




Комментарии