Trick or… trick


Every year is the same. The holiday sneaks up on me. I mean, I knew it was coming, but it still somehow caught me by surprise. Suddenly there it was! It had caught me unawares and I was, yet again, unprepared. Somehow I thought this year would be different. I even did a little extra legwork early on, but it is still the same old story. That’s right, I’ve been caught unprepared by Halloween!


Halloween is truly the sneaky stress holiday. It seems all innocent and fun. Candy and masks and pumpkins and all. Right up until people start inviting you to their parties. This year I’ve been invited to no less than four. That’s right, FOUR Halloween parties. This presents some interesting problems, beyond my simple inability to be more than one place at a time.

First of all, I have a single gal admission. I hate going to parties alone. There are very few parties that I am comfortable going to on my own. Of the four I was invited to, one and only one is comfortable alone. Second, these aren’t regular parties, they are costume parties of course. So the question of what to wear is now multiplied by about a million. Halloween costumes are sized stupidly, fit horribly, and make you look ridiculous no matter what you do. First there is the desperate dig through the closet to see what’s in there. It was a combination of “made me look like a lumpy sack” and “might not fit anymore and I’m too proud to find out”. So a new costume had to be purchased. Fine. That took about a week of my time and probably a few years off my life. But now I have a costume. Then something else happened.

Before I even knew it was coming, I had invited LC to the one party I was planning on attending alone. There it was… the biggest step I’ve taken with any guy in a long time. First of all, I planned something two weeks in advance with a guy. Which may not seem big but please note, it assumes said guy will be around for longer than two weeks. A huge assumption for me to be making, that is… if you know me. Second, I invited him to a place full of my friends. A whole bunch of them. And thirdly, the first time they meet him, he will be dressed ridiculously. Oh sure, we all will. But there it is. An obstacle nonetheless.

And so it is that this seemingly innocent holiday has become as stressful as the ones to come. He doesn’t have a costume yet. I have to tell my friends I’m bringing someone. He doesn’t know it yet but they’re kind of protective. Oh and he’s short and his costume may or may not involve lederhosen. My date will be judged while looking vaguely like a leprauchan. I really need to start thinking these things through.

And if you think this is bad? Just wait until Thanksgiving. Oh boy

Комментарии